7/11/2013

July Travel Blog - Post # 11 - Doing a Little East Coast Swing

Philadelphia. If you are anything like that mean old lady I was in line with at Rite Aid this afternoon, you are all crabby and rude. Said the wholesome friendly and nice Midwestern girl. Seriously people. Do not stand behind people while in any type of line in Philadelphia. That is apparently interpreted as "getting all up on someone."

So I am in Philadelphia. It's one of those blink and you will miss it trips. Ah, the life of a meeting planner. Glamorous because you get to travel and stay in kick ass suites, while the hotel wines and dines you. Except for the parts where you barely get to leave the hotel because your day is busy from sun up to sun down.

I am getting better about it at least. I am forcing myself to get out and enjoy the city. Luckily the hotels where I stay are generally centrally located so I can see all the sites and attractions. For example, while in Philadelphia, I am a short distance from the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and the Philadelphia Art Museum (or better known as the Rocky Steps/Statue). The latter attractions was a bit further away and I was dealing with a headache so I just took a picture of it from about a mile away. I be a lazy tourist.

The other things I love about work trips are:
  • My opportunity to each delicious and food that is horribly bad for me. Hey, I need to test out the local cuisine for the potential attendees!
  • Buying trashy magazines to read while I wait for my flights.
  • Piling up the bazillion pillows on my hotel bed and creating two body pillow boyfriends to sleep on either side of me.
  • Trying the local brews/bars. Always good people watching.
  • Interacting with THE local crazy homeless person. Today, after I said no to buying his news paper: "Bitch! It's fine. You'll probably be eating well tonight. I won't, but good for you." What? All I said is I didn't want to buy your newspaper. Why can it never be a nice, sane homeless person?
I'm lucky I don't travel more than I already do because I would be fatter from the good, dumber from the magazines, drunker from drinking, jaded from the crazy homeless people interactions, and physically dependent on body pillow boyfriends (OK, that last one is true).

p.s. Mom, Sorry I forgot to tell you I was in Philadelphia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could have gotten killed, your wallet stolen and nobody would know who you were. The local CSI people could not identify you because you have no criminal record and it would take awhile for them to match dental records..I wouldn't even know that you were missing because I don't have that "call your daughter that lives in Milwaukee at least once a day" routine.