7/03/2013

July Blogathon Post #3 - Lesson Plans From High School - Sometimes I Actually Remember Them!






For the most part, I cannot remember the specifics of lessons plans from high school. Sometimes I wonder what exactly we did during those hours sitting in the classroom. Then I just resign to the fact that it was probably all all a waste of time since I cannot remember anything. Ok, I know this is not true. Obviously school had an impact. All the thing I learned are still with me. They are just so ingrained in me that I don't remember the specifics of HOW I learned the facts just that I know them. However, one particular lesson plan from my high school Philosophy class still sticks in my mind.

Our teacher had us watch the music video for Radiohead's "Just". Quick, if you've never seen it before, YouTube it! Are you back? Ok!

After watching the video, we had to discuss the reason the man was laying on the ground/what he said to the crowd/why the crowd lays on the ground after hearing what he said. I'm not too sure what the other classmates said, but I do remember what my high school sunshiney self said:

He said there is no meaning to life. We are on this earth for no reason but to merely exist, and then we are simply gone when we die. I wasn't trying to read his lips. I was mostly trying to think of what would be so devastating to hear, that it would render you motionless. I also didn't really read too much into all the lyrics, just the chorus. I interpreted it as saying when one trys to find meaning in life, it will only cause suffering. Because you find nothing. This is pain you end up inflicting on yourself.

Obviously the teacher wasn't grading on "right" or "wrong" answers, just that we actually put some thought behind our answers. Even though my philosophy on all topics during that class was dark, I think the teacher still appreciated my viewpoints, because I aced the course. It's still one of my favorites high school classes, and he is still one of my favorite teachers. What other teachers can say that students still think about their lesson plans more than 10 years later!  Good job guy!


No comments: