7/16/2013

July Good Bloggy! - Post #16 - Cubicle Etiquette

I work in a cubicle environment. It is kind of the worst. There is no way to shut your door to cut out your neighbors. No, instead you have to deal with that one co-worker that will stick his head over the cubicle wall, startle you, and then proceed to tell you about how the printer is broken - what exactly he was doing when he found out the printer was broken, how he was feeling when he found out the printer was broken, what he will do to fix the problem. The best solution to this situation is to just nod your ahead and not say anything. Polite, but not engaging.

Then of course there are the cubicle neighbors that are eating the loudest food possible. Sure, your work has rules about not eating strong smelling foods at your cubicles, but there are no restrictions on apples, carrots, or a never ending bag of kettle chips. Somehow, this person eating the loud food is also hyper aware that their food is loud. So they try to fix the problem by biting into the food slowly and taking forever to finish, but they are only making the situation worse (like those people opening candy wrappers in a movie theater).

Am I perfect? Of course not. I find myself humming to myself, talking a bit too loudly on the phone or grunting out of frustration. But at least I catch myself and fix the problem!

For all my friends out there that work in cubicleland, pay attention to this lovely article on cubicle etiquette.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To get even you need to pick a new annoying habit. I suggest quiet farting.