1/18/2007

Negative Kudos: Isaiah Washington


Apparently, long ago in early October, there was a scuffle on the set of Grey's Anatomy between Isaiah Washington (who plays Preston Burke) and Patrick Dempsey (plays Derek Shepard). I don't remember reading too much about it but apparently it was about cast members being late to the set, there was some throat grabbing and Washington using the sentence, "I'm not your little faggot like (at the time the name was deleted for privacy sake, later it was found to be TR Knight who plays George O'Mallay)." This lead to Knight, publicly "coming out" as a homosexual man. Soon after it seemed like the waters had calmed down.

Come to this past Monday, following the Golden Globe win for Grey's Anatomy, the cast was collected in the press room when a reporter asked the show's creator to talk about how they are handling the above situation. This lead Washington to walk up to the microphone (uninvited by the way) and proclaim, "No, I did not call TR a faggot. It did not happen" Everyone (reporter and cast) looked uncomfortable, and the show's creator quickly changed the subject. Washington did not help matters when he continued to state he never used that "vile" word and that, “I love gay. I wanted to be gay. Please let me be gay.” He also kissed Dempsey to prove how OK he is with the gays. TR later confirmed in an interview on Ellen, that Washington did in fact use the word.

Since I do not know him personally, I am not one to proclaim that Isaiah Washington is homophobic or prejudice (although he sure is coming off like such) but from what I know and how he portrays himself I would call Washington insensitive and ignorant. Even I had problems writing that word twice in this blog. It is just so hateful.

One more reason Washington is getting a negative kudos? Unfortunately falling into the stereotype of angry black man who hates the gays. You should really read the bell hooks article Homophobia in Black Communities. It is a good read.

Also, I am thinking I should make Negative Kudos a weekly installment, as I find that I am always mentally giving people (celebrities, political figures, personalities, everyday people etc.) negative kudos, AKA finger wagging of shame, mental cussing out, evil eye glare etc. Lets see if I have the attention span to remember to do this.

No comments: