9/15/2004

My mom is funny

This came from a conversation I had with my mom instant messaging online. We were discussing how much other tribal blood she had in her besides Menominee. I was telling her that she could switch to Bad River Ojibwe if she wanted to because she had enough blood quantum to enroll. She said no and this was her reason:
---Because I think there are fewer Menominee, so if the tribe was repatriated or whatever, there would be more benefits for each individual
---whatever, I wouldn't switch because it is one of the only ways to remember my dad, I think it would be like denying him
---besides, everyone is ojibwe
---or related to one

So my mom is back in college now that all the kids are away. She is taking a philosophy course. She told me that while working in a small group during this class the "kids" in her group were going to give a wrong answer to a question. My mom being very soft spoken does not like to speak in class or in front of people she doesn't know well. However, she finally spoke up and told them the right answer. I was kidding around with my mom telling her that she was showing them up and she responded:
--- no, it just was their answer was completely wrong

Oh, I love my mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hollie,

You make me sound like a capitalist. I would not enroll with another tribe because I consider myself a Menominee! I was only giving you OTHER reasons why I would not enroll with another tribe. I am a Menominee.

Love, Mom

Holland said...

yes i know. sorry to imply that you are a capitalist.