3/14/2007

I watch too much TV

Television sometimes makes me so angry. I wish I was one of those people that could say, "I don't watch TV. It is for the uncreative and lazy," or some other kind of pompous ass thing to say. However, television was sunk it's firm grasp into me at a young age, ever since those Sesame Street/Mr. Rogers Neighborhood/Zoobilee Zoo days. But what exactly about TV gets me so angry? I am angry at television programs for allowing me to be angry and disappointed with it. I should not be allowed to have any emotion when it comes to this subject matter. Instead I should be allowed to mindless drone in front of it without having to invest myself into it too much.

I guess what I am most upset about with TV is how unrealistic it can be. Maybe this is why I like shows like Heroes. It doesn't even try to portray "real" life (oh no, did I just kill the hopes of all people out there that hope they can someday possesses superhuman powers?). In the world of television, the average woman is 5'7", 100 lbs, and gets sex regularly with a different man each time. I don't know what kind of reality that is, but it is not a reality I live in. I live in a reality where woman are a variety of heights, and weights (even the skinny ones may have a little cushioning in the mid-section) and can go ***GASP*** months and even more without sex (of any kind with any gender). But instead on television, I am told that this is the standard of beauty:



Don't get me wrong. I am kind of hippie at heart, that believes everybody possesses some kind of beauty, but this just makes me think, "Is it human? Is it... ***pokes with toe*** ...alive?" Or maybe its just my disdain for her character on Grey's Anatomy (how is one, that hasn't been breathing on their own for an hour, still alive and not brain dead?), which gets me to my next thing I hate about TV: title characters.

They always suck the life out of a show. Grey's Anatomy, Ally McBeal, What about Brian (oh god, I can't believe I admitted to even watching one episode of that), and much more. The title character is always the least interesting person on the show but you know they won't get killed off, because what will the show be called then? I would like to know a show that had a title character that didn't suck (and don't tell me Buffy or Gilmore Girls because those shows just sucked in general and yes I am being immature and uncreative by reusing the word "suck" but can you blame me, I am a TV viewer).

I will say there is one exception to the rule, Ugly Betty. I like the title character, but I wouldn't say she is my favorite character on the show. So perhaps it isn't an entire exception to the rule.

1 comment:

Holland said...

That story was "ripped from the headlines" wasn't it? About a married couple from Canada that raped and murdered her sister? I read too much crimelibrary.com