3/20/2007

4 years plus one day

I try not to put up posts that are political, because in reality I don't think I have anything different or intelligent to say on the subject. Mostly, these types of subjects mean I have to be serious, which I hate to do. However, I would like to say something that I don't really think is political, but is human. I hope this ends soon. I don't have any loved ones overseas, but I do know people that live in fear that their loved ones might get deployed sometime soon, and I feel for them. I also feel for the Iraqis that live in fear everyday.

The main thing that moved me to say something was something that I saw this morning on Good Morning America. They showed an update on a story they did a year ago about a ballet class in Iraq. Now, they dance without music, because their piano accompanist fled the country in fear, and yet they keep on going. I don't follow this type of art form, but watching those children dance in complete silence had me in tears.

When the interviewer asked the young teens how many of them have seen dead bodies, all of them raised their hands. One girl nervously giggled that she saw someone getting beheaded. What world do we have to live in that people must build a defense mechanism to "laugh off" such horrendous acts happening around them.

How am I suppose to feel living in a place where I don't deal with that type of environment: grateful? guilty? can you feel both at the same time?

So 4 years and one day later, lets all hope that this ends soon, and it does so peacefully.

No comments: