2/01/2006

Starting to hate politics in general

President Bush's State of the Union was on last night. It was suppose to be a speech of optimism, instead I felt even worse about the future of my country. I literally felt sick to my stomach hearing the future plans. Since I don't remember exactly what got to me, here is a run down of what I found amusing/disturbing:

-At the beginning Bush gave a quick tribute to Coretta Scott King. It is very sad to see such a prominent figure of Civil Rights leave us. When he was speaking, the camera scanned the audience, and who else did they show but... Yes you guessed it, Black people. Oh look how diverse the audience is...First Lady Bush even had, what appeared to be a Muslim woman and a Black man, sitting next to her. Yes, I don't know much about politics, so these people could be related to the subject matter, or some big political figure, but still...To me it was such a publicity ploy. And later when Bush was talking about education and children, the cameraman found...Yes, a child. Way to keep our attention. (Back to the Coretta Scott King thing. I don't know where I heard it, I think it was Good Morning America or something, but when they were talking about her, they said something to the effect as, "Behind every Great Man there is a Great Woman." God, as a feminist, this saying irks me like no other. How about, "Beside every Great Man there is a even Greater Woman." Yeah, that is much better.) Ok, back to the State of the Union.

-Whenever the Republican half would go into ruckus applause, Bush would give this very self-pleasing smirk. Yes, your speech writers did an ok job. But here's a thought, perhaps they weren't applauding in approval, but just to piss off the Democrats.

-Bush started the section talking about Social Security, and he talked about how his two of his fathers favorite people were approaching retirement age, himself and President Clinton. They flashed to Hillary Clinton you had this pursed lips/furrowed brow look going on. Don't worry Hill, I had the same look on my face. The Bush administration is really playing up this Bush Sr./Clinton friendship.

-Hey look. It's Senator Kohl.

-I was so embarrassed with the Dem vs. Rep applauding/booing. Yes this is our government. You could easily mistake this audience for an audience at a rival high schools basketball game.

-Ahhhhhhh. I hate the Patriot Act. But hey, it doesn't affect me because I'm American, I look white bread. Wooo hooo America.

I could go on and on about this but I won't since I need to get going. If you want to comment about how little I know about politics go ahead, but be aware, I already know.

1 comment:

Holland said...

Holy crap, how could I forget about that one. I would so be for carrying swords. We could be swashbucklers.

Another thing I just remembered I liked about his speech: keeping tax cuts and cutting programs that don't work. Hmmm. You know that so many women are now off of welfare. Sure they are still unemployed and poor, but they are off welfare.