2/20/2006

Look at us, we're so PRETTY!!!! *Girly Squeal*

Sunday:

I got up at 8:30, thinking that it would only take me 30 minutes to shower, dress and leave for my hometown to meet with my sister, mom and the rest of the bridesmaids to go dress shopping. I was wrong. I turned the shower on to warm up while I got undressed and put my contacts in (I know you aren't suppose to but I like to be able to SEE while I shower). As I was about to get in the shower, I noticed that the bathroom floor was wet, soaking wet. I forgot to tuck in the shower curtain. Frustrated I quickly took my shower, and then mopped up the floor and squeezed the excess water out of my shower mat. The cleaning of my floor took an extra 15 minutes, so I didn't leave Milwaukee until 9:15. As I was on the highway, I noticed that I needed gas, so I pulled off the next exit, only to find that the nearest gas station was, what felt like, 2 miles off the exit. There is an extra 15 minutes. Luckily, I planned on getting to my mom's an hour earlier so I was only 30 minutes early. See, planning for crap to go down is a good thing.

Anyway, we went to a bridal store that was a little over an hour away. I had a lot of driving to do yesterday. When we got to the store, we were sent of immediately to pick out what dresses we liked and hang them on the designated clothes rack. I felt completely lost. I didn't know if there was a specific color or style, plus I am just not a girly girl. I don't know what looks good. It must of been funny to look at me because I was barely even touching the clothes. I just kept on walking back and forth through the aisles. By the time I picked out 2 dresses the rack was filled with dresses all the other girls had picked out. My sister made me try on one that I knew would look bad, and I quickly picked out one more, just to see how the halter style would look. Next was the dressing rooms.

The lady in charge of helping us out, asked our bra sizes so we could wear a strapless corset while trying the dresses on. Holy Constriction! I was laughing at myself while I was putting it on. You had to hook it on backwards and then twist it around. I was jumping so that it could twist around but it made my boobs look fantastic. Here is a summary of the dresses and how they looked:

Dress 1: calf-length, pink, with sheer, triangles shaped straps and a ribbon belt. Looked awkward.
Dress 2: looked like a maroon version of a prom dress I had. No!
Dress 3: body hugging chocolate brown, silky fabric. Two words: spare tire!
Dress 4: calf-length, lavender halter with a flower/belt. A very poor man's version of Marilyn Monroe.

My cousin, who is seven, came out with this full length champagne colored dressed, that had little straps and looked gathered/cinched on one side. Everyone "awwwed" and wanted a big girl version of the dress. They found one that was similar, except strapless and with a brooch on the ruched part. I dreaded even looking at it, because of the strapless part. I have an odd shaped body. My appendages are skinny, but I have a rounder midsection. I was afraid of some fat hanging over the edges. There were no mirrors in the dressing room so I had no idea coming out of the room.

I have to admit though, once I saw my reflection, I was really hoping that this would be the dress, because it was very pleasing to all figures. The size ranges of the bridesmaids range from a 4 to 18 and everyone looked pretty in there dresses, and everyone felt pretty. You could tell. My sister had to try her dress on too, so her friend said, "Do you want us to keep our dresses on so we can stand next to you." Heh. My other cousin, who is 15, wanted to take her dress home right away, which of course none of us did because we wanted to have clean new dresses, so we ordered them. There was a lot of girliness going on, which is funny because none of the bridesmaids, is really a" girly girl."

When we first had the dresses on, I was standing with my seven year old cousin looking into the mirror with her, when all of the sudden I said, "FLEX!" At the same time, we showed off our guns, making tough grrl! faces. That's how my family rolls.

No comments: