10/27/2006

Let's Get One Thing Clear

Just because I don't eat red meat, does not mean I am a vegetarian. I still eat chicken. Occasionally I will eat pork. And I am growing to like fish. I think this qualifies me as a carnivorous.

Also, the reason I don't eat red meat, has nothing to do with the "inhumane" way that cows are treated and slaughtered. Like I said, I eat chicken, and they are treated way worse than cows.

The truth is...I just don't like the taste of beef. I started to not eat beef, around my freshman year of college. I used the excuse of "mad cow disease" but in reality, I just didn't want to eat red meat anymore. I felt weird telling people that, so I thought a phobia to a disease that would waste my brain away sounded more convincing then to a sudden distaste for red meat. Don't question, it made sense in my head at the time.

Sucks for my family who before my decision to cut out red meat, was a beef loving family. Now, whenever I come home and eat dinner with my family, my parents have to cook something with chicken or make a smaller portion of the meal sans the beef. An example would be my mom's chili. This reminds me of a funny story:

So as I said, my mom started to change her cooking habits once I went non-beef (hee, every time I write that it looks like I am talking about turning into a lesbian). One weekend I went home and my mom decided to make chili and fry bread for dinner. She gave me my bowl and told me she made a separate batch for me. I started to eat when I realized there were little chunks of beef in it. I showed my mom and asked her if she was sure she didn't give me the wrong bowl. She said no an showed me the tiny pot she made for me and said she put the chili con carne in it and showed me the can she used. This is when I said, "Mom, 'con carne' means 'with meat.'" My mom's reaction was basically along the lines of, "D'oh."

If you're reading this mom, don't worry, I will share some of my airhead moments later.

1 comment:

jessicarae said...

Whatever Holland. You just want to be like CM.