8/10/2006

My new favorite show EVER: ABC's Medical Mysteries

Ok. So back in the day, when I had digital cable, I would watch a fair amount of Discovery Health Channel, to watch all the specials about "weird" medical illnesses, diseases, syndromes etc. Now ABC has come out with a show that can replace my beloved DHC. That show is Primetime: Medical Mysteries.

Some of the mysteries included so far:

Progeria: I already watched a program on DHC about this. It is really sad. Children with aging bodies.
Morgellons: A disputed disease. Fibers grow out of skin. Lesions grow. Damage to central nervous system.
Body Integrity Identity Disorder: People diagnosed with this have an a strong desire to amputate their limbs. When they think about how their bodies should be, they think of not having legs, arms, hands or some weird combination of that. Some people will actually go as far as to find ways to damage their bodies so amputation is necessary.
Foreign Accent Syndrome: People experience a stroke (or some sort of brain damage) and afterward speak with some type of foreign accent.
trimethylaMinuria: causes individuals to smell like dead fish.
Porphyria: a genetic disorder in which there is sensitivity to the sunlight (UV rays) and turns bones and urine red, and teeth purple.

and Many more. I will be watching this weekly, if I am home.

No comments: