1/17/2006

There is nothing I hate more in the world than looking like a stupid girly girl

Yesterday was weird. Really weird. I started the day by getting up to go to work. For those of you not in the know, yesterday was Martin Luther King JR. day. Public Allies had a service day at 10:30am, so I figured that I could get two hours at my placement before it. I asked my supervisor if we would be working that day and she said yes. I told her I would come in two hours that day. When I showed up that morning, only one lady was there to tell me to go home, because we had the day off. Geez Louise.

Anyway, as I was walking back to my car, I noticed the rear passenger tire was flat. Gawl Darn it all!!! I never was taught how to change a tire, and of course, never had to do it. So I drove on what little air I had left (because I didn't have the equipment to attempt to change it and I did not have my AAA card) to an autoshop, where I proceeded to pay 80 bucks to get a new tire changed. Luckily for me, this was all able to be done in the two hours I had before the community service day started.

---Quickly I want to describe how I interacted with the guy at the autoshop. ME: "Ahhhh, I have a flat." Guy: "Ok." silence. ME: "I don't know how to get my spare on." silence. "I would like a new tire." Guy: "Well, why don't I find out what is wrong first." ME: "Ahhh, ok." guy comes back later, tells me I had a screw in the tire and asks if I want to patch it or get a new tire. ME: "ahhh, I don't know. What is best?" (note: of course he is going to say the most expensive thing" Guy: "Long run...new tire." ME: "Ok." later on guy shows me tires, talking about the features while I stare blankly at him. Me: "I guess I will go with that one." I point to the cheapest. Later guy tells me all the other things I need to fix in my car as he gives me silence so I can say I want it fixed right away instead I say, "Ok, I will get that fixed sometime in the near future." I pay and run away from the scary, scary mechanic men.---

Service day was ok. We got to spend the day at the YMCA for a special MLK celebration thingy. We were suppose to have special jobs to do during the day. My job was to man the sign-in table. Everybody else's was to watch teens do a dance/drum routine and play basketball with kids. LUCKY!!!

Afterwards some of the Allies and I went to a bar for a drink. It is 2pm. Oh, yippie skippy, power outage. Drinking in the dark is fun. The bartender put out tealights for us. It really set the mood. Since the bar is one block away, my apartment also had a power outage. Stupid hit and run driver hitting power lines. I went to get something to eat, since I didn't feel like cooking something in the dark. I then had a romantic candlelight dinner by myself. So sad. (Note: At one point my apartment manager had to walk me down the hall with a flashlight, because it was too dark because it was too dark to walk down myself. Once again, I felt like a silly little girl.)

I was sick of sitting in the dark, so I called my friend to see if I could hang out with her. We watched the Golden Globes, while we chatted and I knitted. Brokeback Mountain won Best Picture. I watched that this weekend. I thought it was good, but didn't really get the hype. I think people give it too much credit for being controversial. It was nice to see so much prettiness going on. Jake and Heath on screen together, its like staring into the sun. heh. I think my only criticism about it, which made me think it was too hyped, was that it was too jammed packed. To sum 20 years in two hours seem like a bit much, considering it is summing up not only their relationship, but their relationship with their wives as well. I guess you are suppose to get the point that Jake and Heath's characters see each other soo rarely. If I had to rate it, 3/4 stars. Michelle Williams was excellent.

Funny thing about the movie watching experience...There was a lot of older women going to the movie in groups. My assumptions were that only young people would go to see the film, but I was proven wrong, me and CM were some of the youngest "kids" there. The group of men who were sitting in front of us were gigglin (like little girls as CM said) like crazy whenever the two lead actors kissed. CM and I (I know that this is bad, but hey, no one is perfect) assumed that they were gay. You would think they would be more mature about it. Come on, lets be grown ups about it. Lets at least giggle on the inside like I do.

No comments: