1/30/2005

Boys will be boys

Saturday Night I attended this Student of Color Connection Lock-in. There was a bunch of different activities planned for the night. One of them was a poker tournament (no limit Texas Hold'em). I will be honest...I have no real experience playing this except with my other inexperienced friends and I also watch it on Celebrity Poker Showdown and other Poker games on ESPN. There were about 8 guys, 7 girls playing. The guy leading the games split the group into two, and the top three of each would play each other. Well, he wanted to split the group into the experienced and the inexperienced. Without really asking who has played and who hasn't, he makes it a girls table and a boys table. Ugh. I wouldn't have taken so much offense to it if the girls didn't know how to play, but there was only two girls who had either no idea at all or very little idea of what to do (the latter being me). What made me really happy was when the completely inexperienced girl made it to the final table. Take that you stupid boy.

4 comments:

jessicarae said...

So, Holland... Aren't you like 22 now? What were you doing at a lock-in? Isn't that for churchy youngins?

Holland said...

Ouch JR,
Maybe I was obligated to go, since I promised the women heading it that I would facilitate icebreakers and teach people to make dreamcatchers. I am also co-chairing the second part of the program which is a retreat weekend. It is helping the students of color get to know each other better and feel comfortable on campus. Plus we want to feel like we are 12 again.

jessicarae said...

Ouch. I hope you were wearing some modest clothing at the lock-in, maybe some bloomers?

Holland said...

but of course.