1/28/2005

A reason I am glad I am not a teenage boy

This will be long because it deserves a lot of explaining but it is definitely worth a read. Not too many people that know me personally have heard of this story. It had remained a secret between me and two other girls that have witnessed the "indecent" act (ok, so maybe each of us had told a few people that we could trust not to blab the story around school). The reason I think I, along with the other girls, never repeated what we saw was not so much to save the character/face of the individual we witnessed (which was the reason for me) but it was more of saving our own character/face for not only witnessing it but for not doing anything about it. So now, I guess you are wondering what it is I am talking about. Well here it goes: *Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Phoebe, Monica and I sat together in the back of Ms. Comer's sophomore English class. We were not friends outside of the classroom, but we enjoyed each other's company while inside the class. Joey sat to the right of our group and didn't really talk to anyone, he was a loner. Some kids made fun of him. He had that dorky facade. Anyway, one day while we were listening to our teacher, out of the corner of my eye I noticed Joey rubbing his hand over his pants. It wasn't a gentle brush, but rather more of a vigorous back and forth motion. I was shocked and looked away, telling myself to ignore it and it would go away. I hate to use this term because it is cliche, but it really was like witnessing a car wreak. I couldn't stop looking. It blew my mind. "How could he?" I thought. (You must remember too that seats were assigned, so I couldn't leave my seat).

As it turned out, this was a daily thing, almost on the dot timing. I never turned to look at Phoebe or Monica the first few days, I guess I was too shocked. But finally, one day while Joey was in action, I looked over at Phoebe and she was looking in Joey's direction as well. She noticed me looking at her and gave an embarrassed giggle. I mouthed "I know!!!" Then Monica noticed what we were looking at and joined in our little secret.

As the semester went on, he never knew that we knew and he never ceased. Monica, Phoebe and I were deciding what to do about it. We didn't want to embarrass him, but as time went on we didn't want people to know that we have been watching for that long. Joey even upped it by unzipping his pants and putting his hand inside. That day I let out a quiet yelp, that luckily no one noticed. That day also started my smooth hand-on-the-side-of-my-face in a "I'm concentrating really hard" pose that helped me divert my eyes from the mess. (At this time I should also mention that Joey was not blatantly doing this. He seemed to be trying really hard to do it discreetly). Eventually we were able to move seats, and so ended my daily show. Monica, Phoebe and I would always continuously mention it to each other. It bonded us. Phoebe even wrote about it in my yearbook (using code words of course). Ah, traumatic moments in high school.

It is odd that I go from talking about babies to talking about this. I don't know what has made me think of this and want to write about it. I think I've been watching too much Stella and now my mind has gone in the gutter. By the way, the teacher's name was not intentionally created. I needed inspiration for a last name and it just so happened that it was my psych book author's last name. It was completely coincidental.

No comments: