6/30/2005

Counseling fellow counselors

So I am a summer camp counselor to a group of fifth graders. My co-workers range in age of 18-50ish. The 50ish woman is special education assistant during the school year and does this as a summer job. One of the 18-year olds, I feel like sometimes I am watching over her as well as my own kids. I have to stop her from talking to my kids while I am trying to lead them on to the next activity. And she also plays "inappropriate" songs in front of the kids. But then she criticizes me for not dancing in front of the kids. I whipped out the running man, but that is all I am going to do.

Today we played kickball. This, along with dodgeball, were the two sports I hated to play in school. Those types of balls always scared the crap out of me. They still do. I played along with the kids, placing myself out in right field. The first kid up kicked it right towards me. All I was thinking was how I needed to catch it because the kids already thought I was a loser. And what do you know...I caught it. Ahhh...redemption for all those times I didn't catch it as a kid. Another time the ball dropped right in front of me and I threw it in at a kid running in to third. I managed to aim it right at him and also not whipping it too hard to hurt him (because I am still an adult and he still is a kid).

However reality hit back when it was my turn to kick and I didn't even get it off the ground or anywhere near the outfield. The kids on my team said, "Holland, you suck." I gave them that, 'you should know better than to use negative language at camp' look and they flashed that 'whoops, sorry' look. Whatever, some kids think I am awesome because I know how to make bubble letters and lanyards (or however you spell it).

No comments: